Marsa Alam - House Reef & RIB Diving
House Reef and RIB diving take place at our main centre located at Marina Lodge Hotel, Port Ghalib. We dive the south side of the natural reef of Port Ghalib, which has remained relatively un-dived for around 10 years. There is an easy shore entrance for check dives and for those who like to take it easy, where the usual Red Sea critters can be found on small pinnacles and bommies, but the reef really comes into its own if you start you dive further east, being dropped off and collected by our complimentary zodiac/RIB. Depending on the weather, we can drop you in 2 or 3 different spots to explore the deeper walls, larger corals and bigger fish in the blue.
- Standard house reef diving is charged per dive and includes tanks, weights and zodiac drop & return (subject to availability). A guide is complimentary for your first dive on our housereef and is available at a small extra cost per diver for any subsequent dives if requested.
- Unguided diving provides ultimate flexibilty and is available for guests staying in selected Port Ghalib hotels (click here for a list), within house reef opening times (subject to experience and equipment conditions).
- House reef is open from 8am - 5.45pm (or sunset) and guided dives typically take place at 9.30am and 2pm.
- The house reef has one shore entry and exit point and three boat entry and exit points giving many different diving profile possibilities. The all-weather beach entry is great for those who want an easy dive from start to finish, while the zodiac/RIB drops provide access to deeper, bluer water right from the off. Morays, turtles, eagle rays, and occasionally manta and dolphins are waiting for you here.
- Click here for more information on a typical day's house reef diving.
- If you haven't dived for a while, then we recommend you take a scuba review as required by your training organisation.
- Housereef dives are booked in resort.
- The Palace
- Sahara Sands (Siva)
- Sahara Oasis (Siva)
- Marina View, Port Ghalib
- Marina Lodge
- Rehana Royal Port Ghalib Resort
A typical day's diving
...from our House Reef at Marina Lodge, Port Ghalib
- 08:20 (onwards) - Complimentary transfer picks up from various hotels. (Click here for details of hotel transfer times). Guests staying in the Marina Lodge Hotel walk directly to the centre.
- 08:45 - Check in/set up your equipment to ensure everything is working. Check in procedures take longer on the first day, allow up to half an hour.
- 08:50 - General safety briefing from your guide.
- 09:00 - Other divers join in for first dive briefing.
- 09:15 - Hit the water on our house reef; enjoy schools of fish, coral formations, drop-offs and marine life at any of the shore or boat entry/exit points as determined by your guide. Your first check/orientation dive may take place at the shore entrance for the safety and comfort of you and other divers.
- 10:30 - De-kit and discuss next dives with your guide. If you and your buddy meet the requirements, you can now enjoy as many unguided house reef dives (shore or boat) as you want at times to suit for the rest of the day and on subsequent diving days. If you want to stay with your dive guide, find out the assembly time for the afternoon dive. Take lunch when convenient.
- 14:00-16:00 - Meet for your second house reef dive, which will probably be by RIB/zodiac boat to a different entry point.
- 16:00 on - Relax and enjoy a drink at our Diver's Bar with your fellow divers to compare photos and stories. Complimentary transfer back to your hotel or, if staying in Marina Lodge, walk to your room.
(All 3 images above taken at Marsa Alam housereef)
Click here for your full price list on day diving, additional dives and equipment.
What you could see beneath the sea:
Turtles, dugong, dolphins, parrotfish, angelfish, butterflyfish, clownfish, barracuda, tuna, Napoleon wrasse, moray eels, stingrays, reef sharks, guitar rays, seahorses, ghost pipefish, frogfish, red sea walkman and, occasionally, whale sharks and manta rays.